Tidying… sometimes you just need to tidy up.
Finishing the Paper Installation
Its’s crunch time, me and the group are working hard to finish the installation.
Its been hot and challenging so far, but I have mostly stayed positive and pushed on with the work. The binary code which Geraldine kindly printed out for us had to be cut with the guillotine to trim the edges, this took a while but I was surprised how soothing the action and sound was of chopping the paper. Hanging the binary code however was long, hard and hot, I had to combat doubt by keeping myself and the group motivated, telling ourselves it would be worth it in the end.
The room coming together
The room is coming together but it seems we need way more time and paper to make the space feel realistic or totally immersive. I feel like we should make an extra effort to make it as good as we can because we have already come so far with the project. Seeing it come together has helped me to think about the story in the video and we workshopped some ideas, my story homework draft helped me with this too.
Further experimenting with the lights.
I liked doing this and thought it to be a totally different outcome in comparison to the first light and paper tests within the empty room. I have learnt about prototyping and experimentation and am happy that in this instance we learned from the tests and have produced a good result.
Workshopping a revised story board for the video.
I felt that the group was pissed off to be doing Uni work on-site on a blisteringly hot public holiday. I surprised myself by implementing a step-by-step reality check system to work through the story board. I asked questions like “What have we got,” “what do we need,” ‘What do we need to get there,” and engaged everyone in group participation. I wasn’t happy that I had to drag the team along when all I wanted to do was go swimming.
I was quite chuffed that we produced such a story board until Jess came and found loads of holes in it and we had to start again lol!I learned from this that taking a step back or a break is a good idea and you should always revisit a project with fresh eyes before finalising.
Filming has taken ages but I’m confident that we have enough footage. I’ve learned to be very patient when working with film as people rarely have the same vision, I wish we had more time to workshop the production process properly.
We have tested the interactivity and learned a valuable lesson, just because we know what’s going on doesn’t mean that the idea will be clear to a new pair of eyes. A student came in and shot it down instantly, I have taken from that that we need to do more work on the call to adventure part of the interactivity part of the project. This could possibly be an email.
Working on digital art for the video
First UCloud upload
The finished room